Mucus & Phlegm 101
A cold is often accompanied by a seemingly endless supply of mucus and phlegm that can leave you feeling worn out and off your A-game. But fear not. We’ve got the lowdown on both mucus and phlegm and the best way to get rid of both with BENYLIN®.
What is mucus?
Mucus is naturally produced by the body, even when we are not sick. In fact, the nose and sinuses make a litre of more each day1.
Mucus helps the body do many important things, including1:
- Moisturizing the body: It is found in many tissues, including the lining of the nose, sinus and mouths. These lining tissues can be dry and mucus helps keep these tissues moisturized and healthy.
- Creating a barrier: Mucus traps dust, bacteria, and other environmental trespassers and can prevent them from entering the body.
- Immune Health: Mucus has immune health elements like white blood cells and antibodies that help kill any trespassers it captures
Unfortunately, though, there are times where mucus can harm. Mucus that becomes too thick and sticky can cause issues in your airways. Thick and sticky mucus can be irritating and difficult to your body2.
WHAT IS MUCUS Made Of?
What mucus is made of varies slight depending on what part of the body produces it, but it is typically made of 98 percent water, 1 percent salt and 1 percent biopolymers – the biopolymers give mucus its gel-like quality3. The biopolymers in mucus furthermore, stick out like bristles from mucus, which trap potentially harmful things we breathe in3.
WHY IS Mucus COLOURED?
When you have a cold, your immune system sends white blood cells rushing to the area. These cells contain a coloured enzyme, and in large numbers they can turn the mucus the same color4. See our mucus colour guide for more information regarding common colours of mucus and what it might mean for your health. Consult a doctor if it has been longer than a week or your phlegm is thick and/or yellow/green or you have excessive secretions or high fever (>38°C).
WHAT CAUSES PHLEGM?
A cold or flu can cause your body to produce an increased amount of phlegm.5 This mucus-like substance is most often produced in your upper respiratory tract.
How to get rid of mucus and phlegm.
There are a few things you can do to help alleviate your mucus and phlegm:
- Hydrate1: Drink more water and consider removing dehydrating drinks such as coffee, alcohol and some teas.
- Use a Humidifier1: This can help moisturize your throat and nasal passages while helping reduce your mucus and phlegm creation.
- Decongestants: Decongestants can help relieve your stuffy nose and nasal congestion
- Expectorants6: Expectorants may make it easier to cough up mucus. Consider medicines containing guaifenesin6.
- Over the Counter Products: When you’re hit with a cold that is accompanied by mucus and phlegm consider BENYLIN® Extra Strength Mucus & Phlegm Plus Cough Control to help ease your symptoms
Each 30 ml or 2 tablespoons (Tbsp.) contains:
DECONGESTANT: To relieve your stuffy nose and nasal congestion.
EXPECTORANT: To relieve your chest congestion.
Helps thin and loosen musus and phlegm.
Guaifenesin (Extra Strength)
GET YOUR CHEST CONGESTION REMEDY!
If you’re still reading, stop!
Grab a coupon-$2 off coupon now to use at your closest available store.
Are you still here?
If you don’t feel like climbing out from under the covers, Benylin can be delivered directly to your door in less than 48 hours!
Discover the different types of coughs and how BENYLIN® can help you find the right solution for yours.
If you have a sore throat, you may wonder whether you have a passing irritation or whether it is something more.
What is the difference between strep throat and sore throat? Consider some facts about each that might help you understand them.
Get rid of chest congestion, by first understanding it
Learn about different types of mucus and how to relieve your symptoms.
Here’s how long a cough or cold might stop you from powering through.
Find out how long until you can get back out there and win.
How to stay healthy and avoid getting sick altogether.
Get more information on how to Get Relief Responsibly® and how to get healthy safely with BENYLIN®.
Fighting back when a cold catches you is the easy part. Avoiding germs all together is the real challenge.
Are you blowing your nose too hard? Here’s a how-to, and a how-to-not blow your nose.
Know your symptoms so you can choose the right product to fight back.
Equip yourself with everything you need to stay healthy and prevent a cold at the office.
It’s not just about avoiding germs. It’s also about prevention.
3 tips to keep your little heroes healthy on Halloween.
Discover 5 ways to power through a presentation when you’re sick.
To shake hands or to fist bump? We’ve got the answer to this age-old question.
8 tips to hosting a great holiday dinner, when you’re not feeling so great.